Friday, August 29, 2008

um... hurricane?

I have always loved Arizona's monsoon season, but last night was just down-right terrifying. The news had talked about a possible storm moving in, but in Az it is hit or miss with storms. It seems like whenever they say there is a good chance for a storm, the storm never comes. And when they say there is little chance for a storm, it hits hard. Last night was definitely the latter! Robert got out of school early and made it home by 8pm. He had made a comment about how much lightning there was on his drive home, but I thought nothing of it. Within an hour, it was apparent that the storm was on top of us. The lightning never stopped; a new strike would flash while two or three others were lighting up the sky. It was really bizarre. The strangest part regarding the lightning was the noise... or lack of noise. When lightning hits that close, you normally hear tumultuous noise. Last night, nothing. There was a distant, deep growl but no thunder. The stormed seemed to last forever; we were still seeing bright lightning at 1am.
I haven't left the house today, so I haven't seen the damage firsthand. Robert called on his way to work to tell me that there was a lot of damage at ASU. My mom called later and told me that at about 11pm last night, nearly all hospitals in Phoenix had lost power; no a/c, no oxygen, no lights... CRAZY. Where are we? Florida?!
I hope all of you stayed safe!

1 comment:

EmileeandJonny said...

I love blog hopping and finding people I know! You guys look like you are doing great and can I say that I am so jealous you guys have a house! We are hopeful to get into a house sometime soon... fingers crossed! and your belly is absolutely gorgeous! I miss having the pregnant belly- funny I never thought I would say that! anyways you guys have to keep in touch with us!