Friday, May 27, 2011

new

So. We have a new little family member. He decided to make his entry into this world less than 14 hours before Mommy was scheduled to be induced. Here is the quick low-down:

TUESDAY at my doctor's appointment, I was about 4cm. Our insurance is changing June 1st & we wanted to avoid 2 insurance companies for 1 hospital visit, so I elected for a 3am (yes. 3. AM) induction for Thursday, May 26th.

WEDNESDAY at about 2am, I wake up to light cramping. Meh. Fall back to sleep. At about 3am, I wake to more light cramping. Meh. At about 4am, I decide my bladder is full enough to completely wake myself. Might as well see if the cramps have a pattern. Yup. They do. 8 minutes apart. I wake Robert. We time them. I text my mom and ask her to hold off on going to work. From 5am to 6am, the cramps go from 8 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart. I text my mom and tell her to come over, just in case this is the real thing. Run to the bathroom and throw on some makeup (I mean, IF this is the real thing, there will be photos right?). My mom arrives. We leave for the hospital. Empty. NICE. Get into triage at 7am. I am checked and told I am at about 5.5 cm. Real thing. NOW they begin to feel like contractions. INTENSE contractions. They hook me up to penicillin (I was positive for group B strep) and they tell me that they are going to try to delay delivery for 4 hours so they can get a second round of penicillin in. Okay. BUT GIVE ME MY EPIDURAL. Cause I hurt. At 8am, we are taken to our labor and delivery room and the epidural is started. Doesn't quite work. I can still feel pain during contractions. And the catheter. AND I AM GOING TO DIE. Maybe not. But it feels like it. At 9am, they give me a nice epidural cocktail by increasing the drugs and adding some mix-ins. All pain is gone, yet I can still move my legs and feet. Perfect. Relax for a couple hours. At 11am, the second round of penicillin is started. At 12pm, I am given a "peanut" ball to help with the last 1.5 cm AND to turn the baby. He is "sunny side up". And that is not favorable. At 12:50pm, we are ready for delivery. As the nurse positions me and preps the bed, baby decides to flip back to "sunny side up" (in a matter of seconds). Doc arrives. Grabs the baby by the head and flips him back (um. don't twist my baby's head off...). They tell me to push during the next contraction. One comes before we realize it, but I push anyway. Missed delivering him in one contraction by a hair. Second contraction and baby is out. I watched the entire thing (from the "safe" position of my natural viewpoint. no mirrors, thanks). Then I grabbed the camera and began taking pictures like a madwoman (yes. while my baby is still attached to me. before he begins breathing. crazy? maybe... freezing an amazing moment? definitely). I put down the camera as they hand him to me (and possibly command my husband to play photographer). Our third boy. As perfect and unique as his brothers. He has been simple and easy; more laid back than Lucas thus far and DEFINITELY easier than Joel. One night in the hospital and we are home. Recovery? Smooth. Nursing? Great. Joel and Lucas? Handling the new baby well. The most difficult thing so far: Joel. Who is 2.5 years old. And in the swing of "terrible twos". AND acting no different than in the days/weeks prior to the new arrival. We shall see how the first night home goes...


Daniel Liam Root
8lbs 4.6oz, 20.5in
May 25, 12:55pm

brown hair, steel blue eyes

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow! Congrats Leigh! So glad that everything went so smoothly. Can't believe you are so on top of things to have already blogged. Good luck in the upcoming days!

EmileeandJonny said...

Congrats Leigh- he's super cute!!!

Dawn Davis said...

yay! congratulations on #3. He's adorable!

Cory and Amy said...

Leigh! What are the odds of finding your blog? Especially right after you had a baby.. perfect timing. I guess I was right giving you your nickname a few years ago. Congratulations Myrtle! :)

Laura said...

He's adorable! I think he looks so much like Robert, even more than Joel does. I wish you lots of sleep, and congratulations!

Sister Louisa Priday said...

Congrats!!! He is so cute. I am glad things went so smoothly for you. Hope things at home are going well!

Christy said...

Congrats Leigh and Robert! I'm glad things went so smoothly for you. What a true blessing. Funny thing is I went to the Doctor that same day and when he came in late I had a feeling it was because of you. Glad it was!

Tawni said...

CONGRATS!!! Soo glad he is finally here for you! What a cutie. He was born the day before Hunter's birthday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of all of your boys in the top post. PRECIOUS!