Wednesday, July 11, 2012

wednesday what

I almost forgot.
Again.
I've been doing that a lot lately.
So sorry.
I mean it's not like I have my hands full...

I seriously don't even know what has happened in the last week.
I have been on my diet for 10 days.
And have dropped 4 lbs.
Hopefully, in the morning, that scale will tell me it's 5 lbs down.
It has been hard at times. I miss my Heath Klondike bars. But grapes are good.
The major shocker for me is how much a portion size really is.
It is painful to see how many calories are in one cup of anything.
And then to realize just how small one cup is.
It has been hard to exercise every day. Mainly because I have zero energy from four kids.
But I do. Every day so far. And I love to feel the burn. Means my body is changing.
I bought a new exercise outfit. And a new scale.
And the newness of both has kept me going.

Today Joel and Lucas had their first swim lesson.
We have a friend that teaches kids to swim at the Y.
Point blank, they suck. Seriously.
It was entertaining at first. Then painful. Then frightening.
I got so caught up in how they were doing with the lesson that Daniel nearly drowned.
Momentarily forgot he can't stand alone well enough on the lagoon step.
But I remembered as I saw his head sink below the water... Oops.
No worries, he was totally fine. Don't think he even cried.

Natalie? Oh Natalie.
Her eyes are blue. Makes me happier than a clam.
Now I have 50/50 with eye color amongst my kids. Soothes my OCD brain.
She is basically in 3 month clothing at 7 weeks. Weighs 10.5 lbs. Small for my babies.
Wonderful sleeper. Horrible eater.
In fact, the later is causing me much stress. For the last 3-4 weeks, she has struggled.
Eats for 5-8 minutes. Then stops. Doesn't fall asleep. Just stops.
And wants to resume again after a 10-15 minute break.
This stretches on for about 2 hours at a time before her next nap.
It is killing me. I do not have the time nor patience for it.
There are three others who need me.
I just don't know what to do.
I don't want to give up nursing since everything is going well for me.
But I don't want to feed on demand or I would be nursing all day.
I don't want to switch to formula since I CAN nurse.
But I don't want to get super frustrated every time I feed her.
Any input would be lovely.

My new blog design is coming along.
I have no clue when it will be up. Not going to say a particular date either.
I do not need undue pressure.
So sometime. In the nearish future.
Keep a look out.

5 comments:

Devon Garza said...

Can you pump your own milk so you have a reserve for when she does want to eat? That way you still have the hassle of putting a bottle to her mouth, but you aren't literally bound to her all day long.

Amy said...

I saw a video of Cardon at his swim lesson that freaked me out. It was a really good way to teach kids to swim though. After they get the "basics" of getting themselves to the side of the pool, the teacher throws them into the water with their clothes on. Then they swim for the side. Then she does it again.
Frightening at first, but brilliant. Two years old and he knows how to get himself out of a pool. Big relief!

Good luck with nursing. Sorry I have no advice for you.

Laura said...

Sometimes babies do that when they are trying to increase your milk supply. Think of it as, she is keeping the milk supply constantly low so that your body knows it needs to make more. I know you may not want to hear this, but you may need to up your calorie intake. If you don't eat enough, your body will sacrifice milk production. :/ I noticed that when I was on a diet. Days I was really calorie restricted = low milk and unhappy baby. If I ate normally, 24 hours later my milk was back. This is my all-time favorite breastfeeding resource http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Nursing_Mother_s_Problem_Solver.html?id=kvY-ecT6-6oC
It is organized by topic so all you do is search for "low supply" or "latch-on" and it has a dozen tips right there! My sister also has the name of a lactation consultant, if you're desperate. Good luck!

Richard and Tiffany said...

I have heard from a lot of people that exercising can reduce your milk supply...it could be that she stops getting as much after a few minutes so she stops, then is still hungry so she wants to nurse again 15 minutes later, and it continues. My sister was having an issue with her baby going only 2 hours between each feeding and she heard if you take alfalfa it can help them go longer! I have no idea obviously if that is the problem, but it's an idea! :) I've been counting calories and exercising too, and it's crazy how fast those calories add up!

Jayson, Kim, and Lotta Carlson said...

Hi! I was on my mom's computer and saw your blog pop up in her favorites :)

Just had two thoughts about Natalie's BF'ing. (I'm no expert so these are just ideas...) Maybe she is going through a growth spurt? My kids went through times when they seemed to eat constantly, I heard this is just to get the milk supply up. Also, because you are dieting and exercising maybe your milk supply is decreasing and she is still hungry.

You looked fabulous when I saw you last. I couldn't believe you had just had your 4th baby! Seriously!