Tuesday, February 17, 2009

photographs

What is a picture worth? A thousand words? How about 12,000 pictures? Would they be worth 12 million words? How about a lifetime of memories? Well, that is what I am about to lose...
It started on Friday. Baby was having a HORRIBLE day. I was trying to get work done on the computer, but he wouldn't have it. I gently placed the laptop on the couch so I could pick up Joel. The moment I stood up, the laptop tumbled to the ground, breaking my thumb drive. I wouldn't have been so upset if I didn't have every Primary document (nearly 100 pages of revised documents) saved on the thumb drive. Luckily, Robert and I were total MacGyvers and disassembled the thumb drive to get to the motherboard. After some tilting and jilting, we were able to con the computer into thinking the thumb drive was attached. I quickly copy and pasted the precious files to Robert's laptop. One problem solved.
Backtrack to my computer. Later, after the drop-incident, I decided to clean off some files and programs from my laptop; I had unnecessary items taking up space. I only deleted items I knew and never used. After the clean-up, the computer began giving all sorts of error signals. I brought it to my dad, who has been able to save every other computer that I have caused to crash. No use, the computer wouldn't even load the start page. Two hours into trying every imaginable thing, the computer finally turns on and the desktop is accessible. At this point, I am repeating "I don't care what happens to the computer, but PLEASE, save the pictures". My dad hooks a hard drive up to my computer and begins transferring 21G of photos. He told me it would take a couple hours, to go home, and call in the morning. Well, this morning I called. The computer crashed in the middle of the night. None of the files transferred over to the hard drive. He is unable to turn the computer on after hours of fiddling with it.
There is a good chance that every picture I have ever taken is gone. I never made a back up; I had been meaning to transfer unused pictures onto DVDs. It is too late. The only photos I have as of right now are the photos I downloaded from my 80+ albums on Picasa Web Albums. I can't describe how bad this sucks. If I could change things, I would rather lose all the documents from my thumb drive. Those can be re-typed. My pictures, those can never be replaced. Take a lesson from me; if you have hundreds or thousands of once-in-a-lifetime photos saved on your computer, MAKE A BACKUP...

5 comments:

EmileeandJonny said...

that almost happened to us a couple months ago. we had some viruses and couldn't get our computer to start, when we finally did- we backed up every picture on there. We took the computer in and it had to be wiped clean and start over. I hope you guys can still get your pics off there, I know the feeling and that really stinks!

Bobs said...

I had to get a new computer a few months ago because mine was old and really slow. I transfered all my photos and every thing else to my new comp. I gave the old one to my kids to play games on. A week later my old computer crashed. I so glad we got a new old just in time!
Sorry for your loss!

Richard and Tiffany said...

Oh wow I am so sorry...that really stinks. I have had something similar happen although I don't remember all the details now, but my dad was able to salvage my pictures. Also, my dad's brother's computer crashed, so my dad worked his magic but nothing seemed to be happening, but finally after I think it was like 6 months the computer just turned back on one day and my dad was able to save almost everything. I'll show him your post and see if he has any suggestions.

Jeff and Kelsey said...

So the hard drive crashed or the computer wont start up. Theres a difference and one can be recovered and the other can not.

Ashley Madsen said...

That is HORRIBLE!!! I couldn't imagine. I was bummed out when I was doing a collage if 100 pics for my 100th post... I can't find 1 picture from my honeymoon to hawaii. I have no idea if I have them on a cd or anything. Then I thought they might be on Coby's computer, and his crashed a month ago and erased Every single paper, picture, anything and put it to how it was when he bought it. So I have 1 picture framed so I scanned it... but Im still bummed. Can't imagine losing everything. Thank heavens for blogs at least.