Wednesday, April 8, 2009

happy half birthday

I'm not one to get overly sentimental about monthly anniversaries or half birthdays or anything, but 6 months is a pretty big milestone for a baby. Unfortunately for Joel, this is a half birthday he would probably rather soon forget. Today was his 6 month check-up with the doctor. More shots. Luckily, the next round wont be for another 6 more months. He handled it like a tough little guy; but hey, who likes a HUGE needle going into their leg? A few tears and a bottle later, he fell asleep, forgetting all that ailed him. Just before the shots, though, was the most painful part of the visit: he had to get his circumcision wound fixed. Without too much detail, skin from the sides had healed around the tip; the doc had to pull (rip) the skin away. I don't think Robert would have been able to handle watching. It was hard enough for me! That procedure right there allowed Joel to display his unnatural strength; both me AND the doc had to hold him down in order to continue. Luckily it was over after four attempts. The hard part is, any time I change his diaper, Joel freaks out and makes it difficult to clean entirely. At least he wont need to have surgery!
Besides the grueling doctor visit, Joel started baby food today! Bananas. I had the camera out, ready for a hilarious reaction. Nothing. No reaction. Maybe I will get one out of him when we try carrots or peaches...
more cute 6 month photos here


4 comments:

EmileeandJonny said...

I just wanted to say almost every apt Jarom had he had to have his foreskin seperated a little bit. I don't know how "bad" his was compared to Joels, but from what I understand it's pretty common. Poor little guys though! I know when Jarom was younger our pediatriacian told us we needed to pull back the foreskin at every diaper change. It helped.

Bobs said...

At least he has some fat on him so the shots don't hurt as much. My poor kids have nothing!

Afton LeSueur said...

Happy half birthday joel! And I'm sorry about your... wound.

Aimee & Josh Jensen said...

6 months! holy cow, time flies!
how sad about his down there time with the doctor :(