Monday, April 13, 2009

many firsts

Easter was a day of many firsts for our family. It started with our first leak. At about midnight on Easter morn', I decided to take a relaxing bath (no, I didn't wake up in the middle of the night; we had yet to get to bed). Robert was finishing up down stairs before coming up to bed when I heard an "Oh no!". Getting nervous that something had happened to one of my precious desserts for Easter, I yelled down and asked what was wrong. Silence. I continued to question Robert until he simply said "we have a leak". A leak? Like under the sink? The toilet? Where? Silence. "Robert, WHERE is the leak?". "The ceiling". What?! Water was apparently dripping from one of our accent lights over the couch. Water + Electricity = Trouble. Lucky for me, my hubby thinks fast. He moved the couch as soon as he noticed the leak and placed a bucket beneath. The leak slowed to a stop. At this point, I am still in the tub, too terrified to drain the tub to get out. Friends in our ward had a leak from the neighbors above turn into a gaping hole in the ceiling. All I can think is the same thing is going to happen to us. Robert yells up for me to drain the tub. Hesitantly, I pull the plug. Five seconds later, I push it back in. "Is it leaking now?". "Keep draining it!". I pulled the plug again. After five more seconds, I push it back in. "Anything?". "Leigh, you're so silly! Drain the tub". Grr... I pulled the plug and got out. Nothing. No more leaking, even after playing with the upstairs toilet and sinks. Strange. Leaving the bucket, we go to bed. (This part of the story will be finished later...)
As Robert is waking up Joel Easter morning, he notices a tooth. Joel's FIRST tooth. Not only can you feel the tooth, you can now see it too! My baby has an ity bitty tooth! One step closer to eating solids.
Easter dinner with my family was as good as it gets (I have a very interesting family). The food was absolutely delicious. Everyone loved my desserts! I made lemon poppy seed cake and carrot cake cup cakes (and now have breakfast for the next several days). When the feast was over, my husband, cousin, and I enjoyed the competition of an Easter egg hunt. This is no ordinary Easter egg hunt; our hunt gets violent. There are large quantities of money hidden among the eggs. No crappy chocolate. I know I may be 23 (and pregnant), but I will participate in Easter egg hunts until the day I die if I have anything to say about it! In all, I found 57 eggs, beating Robert's 54... but just under my cousin's 60. Dang it.
Once the hunt was over and the family had departed, my mom took Joel swimming. Joel's FIRST swim! He wasn't very happy once he got in the water; Robert and I think that was due to me not being in the water with him (he has gotten VERY clingy). Even with the baby floatie right near me, he still screamed. I will have to toughen up to get in the water soon; it is still a bit cold for me...
When Joel had dried off, taken a good nap, and finished his early-evening bottle, we went over to Robert's parents' house to visit. Unfortunately, they had just finished dinner, so we missed out on a second Easter dinner. Bummer. We did, however, get to enjoy their company for a while before coming home.
On our ride home, Robert and I started talking about what to do about the leak. Robert suggested that I call Dallan (my "sister's" husband and a friend) to see what he could do. I was hesitant about it; he deals with the plumbing of water distillers. I didn't think he would be able to help us. Since it was only 8pm, I figured I would go ahead and try to call him then. I lucked out! He was right down the street and told us he would come right over to check it out. After one glance at the tub upstairs, he identified the problem and showed Robert how to fix it. Presto! Leak = gone! Ha ha! The tub is ancient; it is made out of steel. The overflow drain had become rusted and corroded; so when I filled the tub a tad too high, the extra water leaked out the corroded holes rather than the drain. A little plumber's putty fixed it right away. Ahh...
The final FIRST was when we fed Joel right before bed. Robert moved Joel's hands to where they supported the bottle... and he held it alone! He usually tries to hold it by the nipple as he eats, but this time he held his bottle up (and has been doing so again today)! This gives me more freedom. Finally. I think we shall work on crawling being his next FIRST...

The damage...

Our Family

My desserts

Easter egg hunt!

Joel with his three Easter baskets

Joel would rather snuggle than swim

In the garden

Eating Daddy's new tie

Pictures in his Easter outfit

View more of our Easter pictures HERE

No comments: