Thursday, May 20, 2010

splash pad

For the last few days, I have been wanting to take Joel to a splash pad. I had the intention of going yesterday, but we never made (mommy got side-tracked at JoAnn Fabric). Today we had success! Joel's initial reaction: FEAR. He screamed. Uncontrollably. Why? I scarred him for life with the zoo's splash pad. After MUCH coaxing, I was able to get him to stand near a little fountain (by coax, I mean bribe with a sippy full of apple juice). He saw other kids playing and laughing, so decided it was okay for him to have fun too. Lucas wasn't so sure what to think.
I love it. Just chugging the sippy.
So, being the mean mom I am, I wouldn't let him go down the water slide. There was just no way for me to help him onto the slide and make it to the bottom while carrying a baby. Joel SCREAMED. Big time. This kid has lungs. I told him if he didn't stop, we would have to go home. He didn't stop. We went home. While dragging Joel away from the splash pad and to the parking lot, I noticed a guy kind of standing around. He looked... average. Average height and built. Wearing average cloths. Tan. Hat. Goatee. Sunglasses. Average. The only thing was, we didn't appear to be with any of the moms and kids at the splash pad. Just hanging out, by himself, fully clothed. And looking right at me. Weird. I began walking to the parking lot. When I looked back, the average guy was following us. Weird. We continued on to the parking lot (which of course, was on the opposite side of the park as the splash pad). I looked back again; the guy was still following us. The moment I stepped into the parking lot, I pulled my phone out of my bag and called my best friend. I knew it would take several minutes to load BOTH babies into the car. I wanted someone to know if something happened to me. The entire time I was loading up, the guy kept pacing back and forth in front of the parking lot, occasionally glancing at me. WEIRD. Creepy weird.

Driving home, I took University so I could pass underneath the ASU bridge. I feel such pride when I see the bridge. I remember being a little little girl, riding in my parents car, driving under that bridge. I would think to myself, "I will NEVER be big enough to go to that school!". I transferred to ASU in the Fall of 06. I graduated from ASU (Summa Cum Laude... yeah, I like to boast) in the Fall of 08, 2 months after giving birth to Joel. Robert will be graduating this Fall. It still amazes me that I did it.
I had our last set of family photos taken at ASU just for the bridge.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Aaahhh! Totally creepy! Had a similar experience in Wal-mart.

Anonymous said...

what splash pad to you go to?