Thursday, July 29, 2010

couldn't be sweeter

Hazel Margarite Smith
My great grandmother. Born and raised in Michigan. Passed away 5 years ago. The only great grandparent that I have ever known; she was dear to me.
Kristen Marie
My cousin. Born and raised in Arizona. Is at the ripe age of 20. Is getting married in just over 8 days. The only cousin I have ever known; she, too, is dear to me.

Yesterday, my dear cousin Kristen went through the temple for the first time. I had the opportunity of being a part of her session. Yesterday, my dear great grandmother Hazel went through the temple for the first time as well. I had the opportunity of acting as her proxy (Robert acted as proxy for her husband, Max). If going through the temple with my cousin in place of our great grandmother were not amazing enough, Robert and I had the opportunity to act as the witness couple for our session. I cannot describe the sweet simplicity that came from this. Pure. Bliss. I am filled with love and gratitude beyond measure for the blessings I receive.

As a side note, Robert and I have been attending the temple weekly recently in order to prepare my great grandparents' names. I knew that it would be meaningful to take my great grandma's name through when my cousin went through for her own endowments; Kristen and I are Hazel's only great grandchildren. Although it was difficult at times (with two kids and busy schedules), it was well worth the effort. Robert and I will be doubling with my cousin and her fiancé next week to do a sealing session before they get married. During the sealing session, Robert and I will be able to seal my great grandparents together. My heart swells just thinking about it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

that is such an amazing thing! i'm sure your great grandmother and grandfather are happy you were able to do that for them.

Dawn Davis said...

What a neat experience! Way to go working on your family history, you're amazing Leigh, seriously...I don't know how you do it all! :)

Brittany said...

So great! And I just had to tell you that I LOVE the name Hazel and have been planning to name my daughter that (if I ever have one!)

Jessica said...

I was able to take a family name (not as close as a great grandmother, but close enough) from baptism to sealing...except my mom did her endowments. It was SO cool! I actually did her baptism in the Navuoo temple. I would love to name one of my daughters after her...we shall see :)