Friday, October 2, 2009

um... hello?!

So, I sneezed (if this doesn't make sense, read the end of my previous post). I will keep this nice and short, since that is how it happened:
I had been having cramps on and off throughout the day on Wednesday, Sept. 30th, but wrote it off as intestinal issues. At about 3:30pm, I decided to sit down and take a break from my last-minute projects and tasks. It was then that I realized my cramps had a pattern. Still thinking it was nothing, I began to time how often my cramps occurred. Every 5 minutes. Hmm. I called Robert, but told him it was probably nothing. I then called my grandma (who would be watching Joel while I was in labor), but also told her it was probably nothing. After I talked to my sis-in-law Christina, I knew Robert needed to come home from work - just in case. I called both him and my grandma and told them to head over. Cramps every 4 minutes. HMM. I frantically ran around the house, grabbing last-minute items for the hospital bag... putting on mascara (foolish, yes... but I don't care)... printing Joel's "daily routine". At 4:30pm, my grandma and Robert both arrive at the house. Cramps every 3 to 4 minutes. Wait. Contractions. NOT cramps. It hits me that I am having contractions, though I try to deny it in-between each one. Robert and I take off for the hospital immediately (I figured I would be turned away because I hadn't dilated far enough OR because I wasn't truly in labor). At 5:30pm, I was admitted into Triage where I was checked. I was 6cm dilated. We are admitted into Labor and Delivery right away. Contractions are finally becoming so intense that I can't walk, move, or talk between each on. Hard Labor has started. I got an epidural started just after 6pm, which was followed by my doc breaking my water. No turning back now. At 7pm, I am at 7cm. At 8pm, I am at 8cm, but am told I could have been further (my catheter is blocking the baby from progressing, so it gets readjusted). The doc comes in at 8:10pm to start pitocen (he told us - somewhat jokingly - that he wanted to eat dinner). I am at 9cm. Ten minutes later, at 8:20pm, I am at 10cm and begin pushing. Push through first contraction. Push through second contraction. Push through third contraction. STOP! Head. Shoulder-body-feet-BABY! Six minutes. Done. WHAT?! Yeah, It still shocks me. I went from seriously not knowing I was in labor one minute, to holding a precious baby boy the next. But before you swear that you hate me, reflect on THIS (trust me, 24 hour labor, a vacuum, and a 9+ lb baby are NO PICNIC). I have now experienced one of the worst and one of the best deliveries I've ever heard of.
We introduce
Lucas Taylor Root
Wed, Sept. 30th 2009 @ 8:26 pm
7lbs 13oz, 21in long
brown hair, steel-grey eyes
View the entire photo album HERE

15 comments:

James and Jackie Stone said...

Wow!! That sounds like an amazing labor! I hope when I have my second that he/she will come that fast and weigh a little less too :) That is good you didn't have to have another big baby! I now have hope! haha! Well congrats! Let us know if you need anything.

Michelle said...

umm, first off you look amazing. Mascara is one thing I am NOT gonna forget for my second baby, plus a few other things, like eyebrows waxed cuz mine were hideous for all the after birth pictures :)Anyway, congrats, I'm so glad things went smoother this time!! Let me know if you need me to take Joel for a play date, or even come over with Britton for an hour or so, so you can get some rest. Congrats again!!!

Shawna, Bryan, and Dylan Beall said...

congrats, he is beautiful

The Wells Family said...

Congrats... He is adorable of course. Can't wait to meet the new addition. Love U

azHarline said...

Congratulations!! He is so cute.

Dawn Davis said...

hey, that comment from Michelle is actually from me...ha ha I didn't notice til just now!! I am serious though, just let me know!

EmileeandJonny said...

YAY! that gives me HOPE for when I have another baby. I have really been hoping that a 2nd will go quickly and easily for me. My first labor was similar to yours- long, hard, big baby, and vacuum at the end. By the way- lucky you a smaller baby 2nd time around too! I'm also hoping for that. what a cutie- good job guys!

The Railsback's said...

just so you dont freak out, my sister in law is shawna brian and dylan and i was at her house and didnt realize i was posting under her name!

Danielle said...

Whoo-hoo! Congrats guys! He's a beautiful baby!

Sara L said...

Oh, gosh, he is so beautiful. Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

Afton LeSueur said...

Congratulations! This is so exciting! And by the way, you look beautiful in that picture. Of course you do. I'm sure it helped that it only took 6 minutes.

Ashley Madsen said...

Congrats you guys! So glad he made it here safely (and quickly) And happy birthday to Joel this week!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I just found your blog from Emilee's. Congratulations!! You are the best mommy ever! I am so happy for you!

What a beautiful family!

Jonny and Brittany said...

Congratulations girlie!! What a beautiful baby!!! Glad to hear you are doing well!

Brittany said...

Congrats! So glad Robert can be home with you for awhile. We need to bring you some dinner!