Wednesday, February 10, 2010

got milk?

If you follow my blog, you know I am one to undertake many projects. My current project: milk (DISCLAIMER: if the words "breast milk" or "pumping" offend you, skip to the next post for today). Honestly, I am beginning to feel like a cow. At the start of the year, I got a hair-brained idea to pump enough milk for Lucas to have a bottle during each of his rice cereal feedings, which I intended to start on Feb. 1st, at 4 months old. I pumped 60 times in 30 days, 4oz per sitting. With a bit of H2O and some lactation pills, it was easy (and has greatly paid off during his rice cereal feedings)! Then, as I neared completion of this goal, I thought, "there must be some way to pump enough so that Lucas can still be exclusively on breast milk, yet no longer nursing from 9 - 12 months" (Joel got his first four teeth at 6 months... I don't want to be chewed upon, thank you). Crazy, right? After playing around with a tentative feeding schedule for the year (yes, I am THAT insane. OCD.), I calculated that I would need to pump 184 6oz and 184 4oz bottles; a grand total of pumping 368 times. Wow. THEN I thought to myself, "I don't want to go from zero bottles to four a day... I need to ease into it". Thus, we end up with my ideal pumping situation: pumping 20oz for the next 125 days, coming to the unbelievable total of 2,500oz of breast milk divided into 500 milk storage bags. If I want to finish said pumping by the time he hits 9 months, I only get 15 days worth of breaks... Think I can do it? Here is a preview of what my refrigerator looks like with 65+ bags of milk...

11 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

Amanda and Brent said...

All I can say is....that is going to be a TON of milk!!!! I have to chuckle at your calculations :)

Amber H. said...

Ha ha, I pumped the entire time for the twins, so this brings back total memories for me! Your stash of milk looks a lot more organized and neat than ours, but our freezer was still full none the less! It was always funny to see people's faces when they would come over and see me open the freezer and realize what was in there. I always got the comment, "what is all of that stuff?" I only pumped 3 times a day though, and I would get almost 3 of the pump bottles of milk at each pump. Talk about a milk factory! It took us all the way until the babies were 8 1/2 months old before I had to start supplementing because I wasn't making enough anymore. I thought that was pretty darn good for feeding two! Anyway, good job to you Ü

The Higham Family said...

Holy cow. Thats lot of milk! (No pun intended!)
Do you have any room in your fridge for any other food? lol

Cajsa said...

One word from a former cow! Impressive!

Brittany said...

Wow! So glad that it is you and no longer me. :) I had enough of pumping and am SO glad to have my freezer back. We HATED having no room for food and it being so crammed that every time we opened the freezer milk bags fell out. How will you fit all that? No food?

Mandi Abaroa said...

I don't have any kids yet so the thought of freezing breast milk astounds me. Seriously you can do that?!!??!! Good for you!

Meagan said...

WOW! I'm totally impressed. I have several bags in my freezer but not anywhere near that! I HATE pumping so I'm totally impressed!

ginalenore said...

Umm yeah. You are probably the smartest person I know... And you're hilarious. I just remember that night when we babysat and Travis opened the freezer to see all that. I thought he must be joking for a minute! Good thing though, he needs to see a bit of what he's gotten himself into! Ha ha.

Bella Beginnings said...

you are hilarious... and yet, I understand your maddness. I am very impressed. Way to figure it out and keep at it.

Laura said...

Leigh, I love you. Good job! You have way more dedication than I do, and a better pump! I've just forgone dates, out-of-town trips, and being separated from my baby for longer than 3 hours. It's alright... breastfeeding doesn't last forever, right? RIGHT?!