Sunday, December 11, 2011

my thoughts on moving

As if there were not enough chaos in my life right now (including my grandpa being in the hospital for non-intentional, self induced arterial bleed... don't ask), we just moved. And I am exhausted. Here are a few of my thoughts on moving:
*Don't hire a professional painter for the details. The house itself looks GREAT. The front door... ugh. I will be redoing sometime in January. Ugly dried drip marks. That the painter says we're prexisting. And that I say were NOT there originally. But whatever.
*Don't worry about a Christmas tree before other areas of the house. My Christmas tree looks amazing. My kitchen looks horrible. I wish I had invested my time on the latter...
*Don't do a test run for the kids' bathtub on the kids at 8pm at night. When they are suppose to be in bed. Though we had an inspector, we missed the part where no hot water comes from the tub faucet and the water drains in a matter of minutes (even with drain closed). My poor boys had to bathe in freezing cold water.
*Don't wait until you have moved your possessions from one home to the next to decide what stays and what goes. Point being, pack ahead. Which we did not do. And are now regretting as we go through every item in every box. Organized packing is ideal.
*Don't delay getting your bed set up. Even if it is just your mattress and box springs on the floor. That way you are not forced to sleep on the couch. Or the floor...
*Don't purchase a home that is large enough for your children to get lost in. Our home is not too big. But I am not accustomed to various rooms for my children to wander through. I am sure it will feel too small soon enough.
*Don't choose December as your moving month. It is too cold to be going in and of your home with the doors left wide open. Especially if you are a wimp when it comes to the cold. Which is why you may see me with 10 layers on in the morning, moving boxes in and out of my home.
*Don't expect Kelly green to NOT show in some areas when you paint it white. Even after two coats. Just as with the front door, a touch up is in order.

Even amongst all the negatives, I have learned one thing. Accept help when you are in need of it. I do not know how to let people help me. It makes me feel guilty for whatever reason. But I know my limits. There have been two people who have gone above and beyond in this process. My new next door neighbor, Anna Marie. She has been over every day since Tuesday, offering her various services. Watching the boys. Providing cleaning supplies. Helping me scrub the kitchen until 1 am. She is the most wonderful neighbor ever and I feel so blessed to live right next door. Also, my future sister in law, Staci. She has helped me get through the difficulties that come with moving. Providing an ear. Entertaining my children. Helping me scrub the kitchen as well. I am so glad we are in. And I will be so glad when my home is put together. Right now my main priority is the washer/dryer, which we need to hook up so I have clothes for next week...

1 comment:

Mandi Abaroa said...

Congrats on the new home! Promise to post pictures soon of your trip and your new house!