Wednesday, July 1, 2009

intelligence

Intelligence. I like to think that I have it (I mean I DID graduate with top honors from a Tier 1 university, didn't I?). Robert likes to jest that I became stupid the moment I graduated; I would make stupid mistakes quite often following graduation. This post will surely prove his point.
My latest project has been the wooden rocking chair mentioned in the previous post. I am currently in the process of sanding it (ugh). When I started, the only thing I had to my name was two strips of medium grade sand paper. I took the chair out front and began vigorously sanding it. Elbow grease. Within 5 minutes of being outside, I had been dive-bombed by these suckers several times.

Um, no thanks. In order to squelch my abnormal fear, I moved the sanding indoors. I know what you're thinking, "Why would you be so stupid as to sand inside?!". I just figured it would be easier to sand and sweep in safety than to try to dodge wasps all morning. Besides, I was sanding in the entry-way on the linoleum floor, away from furniture. Easy Clean-up.
My dad came to the rescue later that evening by allowing me to borrow his electric palm sander. Heaven (not that I didn't mind the workout of sanding by hand). I completed twice as much in half the time as by hand.
So where does intelligence come into play with all of this? It comes in on hands and knees wearing a little onesie. Mommy was making a mess, so Baby should make a mess too, right? I tried to keep him away at first, but darn if babies aren't determined! He and I had a good laugh about this (and then a good shower).
Go ahead and click on the pictures to zoom in and see the damage.
He has a 5 o'clock shadow of dust on his upper lip along with a mini goatee.
And the onesie has a giraffe on it, but its body was hidden by the dust.
Clean-up wasn't as easy as sweeping the floor; dust had accumulated on the blinds, stair railing, kitchen counters, etc... It took nearly one hour to clean the mess (and there is undoubtedly a layer of dust remaining). Looks like tomorrow will be my "clean-the-entire-house" day instead of Friday...
Moral of the story: Leigh will be sanding the rocking chair outdoors despite heat and wasps in order to keep her home and baby clean.

No comments: