Thursday, October 2, 2008

experiment

No, I am not talking about experimenting to get the baby out (not that anything would work anyway). I am talking about the marvels of experimenting with cooking. For those of you who DON'T know, I am allergic to gluten, which means no wheat, barley, rye, spelt, oats, or pretty much anything delicious. I developed the allergy about two years ago (and have been complaining about it since!). While there are some gluten free foods out there, most are pretty bland/disgusting. I have been getting a bit creative with my cooking lately. Robert and I discovered several brands of gluten-free spaghetti and, by trial and error, we now know which gluten-free noodles are the best. The only problem with cooking gluten-free pasta is that it turns into goop (I have a picture to prove it). The liquid that the noodles are cooked in turns to a gelatinous substance, while the noodles glue themselves together if you aren't careful. Luckily, we have mastered the art of perfect gluten-free pastas! Another difficulty with being allergic to... well... nearly everything is that dessert is just not an option (even a lot of ice cream contains gluten). Today, I experimented with a recipe for an AWESOME fall dessert: pumpkin cake. I am planning on making the dessert for my Thanksgiving family gathering. I thought pumpkin cake would be appropriate. I am still debating whether I should make it look like a pumpkin when all is said and done...


3 comments:

EmileeandJonny said...

Oh my goodness, I totally feel your pain. It's horrible since you just found out two years ago cause that means you know the good food that is out there! If you have been reading my blog lately you would know that Jarom has a dairy and egg allergy. In the beginning we had thought gluten too (man was that miserable) But seriously, food allergies are the worst! Here's to hoping your baby boy doesn't get them too!

brett and carly said...

Hahahaha... I love that baby manual! I was cracking up! Sorry about your luck with the gluten allergies. :( Your cake looks divine!

Kyla said...

Hey! I know you! Remember me?! Kyla (Ray) Pew! I have no idea how I ended up at your blog, but I am so glad! I hope you little man makes his appearance soon! My hubby has ciliac too! We must trade recipes! I have some GOOD ones!! My blog is private, but email me at
mkapew (at) gmail (dot) com

Hope to hear from you soon!!!