Thursday, October 23, 2008

um... SERIOUSLY?!

This past week (week number two for Baby) has had its ups and downs, as would any other week. There have been, however, a few "um SERIOUSLY?!" moments.
The first came during the weekend. Since Joel is so BIG and so HUNGRY, we have been supplementing lightly; we use 2oz of formula at night when my body is too beat to nurse. Well, every time I nurse after Baby has had formula, he pukes EVERYTHING up - formula and all. The worst case was Sunday before church; I came out of the bathroom to see Robert holding Joel. Joel was coughing and choking like crazy, puke was everywhere. Apparently he was throwing up so hard it came out his little nose. After analyzing the formula and everything I had been eating, we realized that cows milk was the culprit. For the first week of Joel's life, I drank nothing but water. It wasn't until he was a little over a week old that I began reintroducing milk into my diet. About the same time that I added the milk, Joel began having problems. So... it looks like I am going to have to avoid milk for a while. Um... SERIOUSLY?! am already allergic to wheat; now I need to avoid excess amounts of milk. Looks like I am going to be on a rice diet for a while. Oh well... things could be worse.
The second moment came on Joel's two-week check up on Tuesday. He was a BIG baby when he was born. Well, it took him one week to gain a full pound, putting him over 10lbs. Um SERIOUSLY?! I know people with babies that are barely hitting 10lbs at four months! He is two weeks old! I gave birth to a hippo.
The third and final moment came today, Thursday. Starting Monday, I returned to school. Things have been going great in regards to school; I have had so many people helping me with Joel while I am at school. I wanted to see how well he would do at school with me, so I brought him today. On the way to school, my car started having issues. As I was turning onto McAllister (a street on campus), my steering went out. Luckily I was able to force the wheel far enough over to complete my turn. I figured that power steering had failed me... But THEN my car dies and begins slowing down. I "floor" the accelerator. Nothing. I put on the emergency lights and begin frantically calling Robert. No answer (of course). I decide to stop the car, turn it off, and then restart it. Presto! Things begin working properly. But wait! What is that horrible screeching noise? ... almost like bad brakes (sis Amy, you know the sound I am talking about)! As I am turning into the institute parking garage, smoke begins pouring out from under the hood and a horrid smell fills the car. My car is on fire and Baby and I are going to die (not really, but that was running through my head)! At that moment, Robert calls. I am freaking out, turning off the car, running around to the back, ripping out the car seat with Joel in tow. Luckily (besides the luck of having made it to my destination when all of this occurred), Bro. Wright, Sis. Bailey, and Sis. Hale are all congregating right outside the parking garage and rush to my aid. In the panic, I hung up on Robert and caused Baby to start crying with my crying. UM... SERIOUSLY?! Yeah... all that car drama for a broken a/c belt. I felt a little silly afterward, but when it was happening all I could think about was my baby. Oh, and the whole "baby at school" thing... let's just say that he wouldn't let me sit down during my classes.
Other than those few moments, things continue to get better with each day. I must constantly remind myself that the success of this new adventure is based mainly on my perspective. Raising a baby while still in school is no easy task, but it is possible! Besides, he is so worth it! Just look at him.

3 comments:

Jeff and Kelsey said...

Sorry, gotta say it. That was pretty funny. glad to hear you guys are ok. Try Rice Dream, its a great substitute for milk. But get Vanilla, not original.

Bobs said...

Way to stick with the Nursing! What a good mom! I know a lot of moms would have given up. Can you have goat's milk? I heard that goats milk is the closest thing to mother's milk. I don't know how it taste though.

10lbs. Wow! I have big babies but they don't grow after birth like yours! He must love to eat! At least he is healthy!

Sorry about your car! That would be scary!!! But I'm glad everything turned out ok!

Afton LeSueur said...

Hi! I just found you blog! He is so cute leigh. I'm excited I can look at your blog so I don't have to wait for Tuesdays to see him!