Sunday, March 25, 2012

ten

Up until today, this has been just a little thing I do each month. But when I put Daniel on the 10 month drawing today, it dawned on me that my baby is so close to being a year old. And not a baby anymore. Of my three, he has (by far) been my baby the longest. Joel didn't have time because there was another one on the way, so I rushed him into "growing up". Lucas didn't want to because he wanted to do what Joel was dong, so he rushed himself into "growing up". But Daniel? He has nothing better to do than be a baby. He doesn't crawl on hands or knees. He doesn't pull himself up on furniture. He doesn't eat any table food. He doesn't seem close to words. He's just... a baby. And until today, I have let him be just that. But now that we are nearing number four's arrival, I am starting to ween myself from babying him too much. Giving him little bits of real food. Encouraging him to pull himself up to his feet. Putting him in the crib for both naps (no more snuggle naps breaks my heart a little). Teaching him Portuguese. TOTALLY kidding on that last one.
I have loved this little man's time as a baby so so much. And I pray that I can remember to do exactly the same with baby girl's infancy. It is easy to forget how wonderful the first year can be.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Such a sweet post. Such a handsome little man!

Kylie said...

I only hope I can be half the mom you are, Leigh!