Tuesday, July 12, 2011

july 12th, 2006

At this point in my trip to Africa, crushes were forming and drama was starting. But I will spare you. Looking back, it was ridiculous, really. I knew that at the time, too. But couldn't help myself. I have ALWAYS been one to have a crush or two. Or three. My entry. Minus the mush.

July 12th, 2006
"Mungassa was a little slower today than it had been. Not as much work got done - at least not as noticeable of a difference. I carried a ton of grass on my head to the site! The girl volunteers... spent the entire time in the community tying grass for the roof. It was difficult. The grass is so itchy! Luckily for me, I was working with a native, named Danny, who is very fast with the grass. He and I got a lot of bundles done today. Danny is 15 and in school to learn English. He speaks pretty well! I was having him teach me a few words in Portuguese. I am starting to pick up Portuguese - I can understand quite a bit.

*** "The moment I finished eating, I went outside and began sanding the benches. Eric came out and was very enthusiastic over the fact that someone beat him to the benches. He and I talked for a while until most of the volunteers were outside sanding. Nikki ran back in to get speakers for her i-pod and we were jamming out to music while sanding. Slowly - one by one, people began to disappear back into the house. Before long, it was only Aaron and I... soon just me. I sanded for about 2 hours. It is a good stress relief. There was a random change of plans - Eric wanted to take the benches to Mbatwe today, so we loaded the 20 finished benches into the Landrover and the truck. I went inside to grab my backpack and the girls, but they were all asleep on their beds. I went with Erik, Stacy, and Eric to Mbatwe to deliver the benches.

*** "After the orphanage, we went out to eat at a place near the orphanage. The food was mostly Lebanese. I tried hummus and baba ganoush for the first time and hated both. Nikki and I split a margarita pizza, but the guy screwed up the order and gave us a vegetarian pizza instead. Whatever!"

Ahhh the restaurants in Africa. Where you prepay. And the chefs leave to go buy the ingredients needed for your meal. And you have to wait a couple hours for your food. But it is SOOO delicious when you do finally get to eat. Things never tasted so good.

No comments: