Saturday, July 9, 2011

july 9th, 2006

I have to admit, I lack motivation to write today. No reason in particular. Just being lazy. But I will still write. Because I know I will be mad at myself later if I give up now (or ever). As Dori from Finding Nemo says, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming". No, we don't watch that movie a lot. Just ever other day... But I digress. Africa.

July 9th, 2006
"We walked down the street to our church building - an old shop converted to a church. The missionaries were at the door, greeting all of the congregation. The room was old and slightly run down, but there were rows of chairs and an alter with little flower pots... It was neat to see how church was the same but how it was different... Babies would cry and the mom or big sister would take them to the back or outside. Little children squirmed. Hymns were sung. Prayers were said. It was a neat experience to see how the church has blessed these people!
*** "I woke up from my nap to the sound of little children yelling and laughing... 4 kids from ASEM were over. Linda & Jody had just made popcorn for them. Soon, stickers and balloons were out, as well as nail polish... I played with the balloons with the little kids. Stacy and Erik made swords, headbands, monkeys, flowers....
*** "I got to talk to my mommio! When I started speaking with her, it sounded as if she were crying. I told her how much I enjoy it here and how I don't want to leave. I didn't want to explain what it was like because I know I would start crying. But I told her a few of the things I was doing and how amazing it was to be in Africa. Just hearing her voice made everything better. It didn't make me sad to hear her. It made me happy.
*** "I thought a lot about everything that was occurring around me. I am so thankful for this experience and I want to learn and grow so much from all that has happened. I haven't been reading scriptures or praying nearly as much as I ought to be, but I realize that my character is beginning to change for the better.
*** "Eric was so excited for the gorgeous sunset and had us climb the benches to get a better look... Our moment looking at the sunset turned into an evening stroll turned into a visit to a less active family. The family lived a ways away, so we had a nice walk to the home. The person we were going to visit was Faith. Faith lives with her father and mother, and also a niece... Our visit was pretty short... Before we left, we snapped a few shots with the family. The walk home was nice - the weather was PERFECT. Post-sunset Africa is beautiful - the sights and sounds and some smells."

I still remember that last little evening trip from this day. If I close my eyes, I can see it all. The walk to and from the house. The kids (and some adults) playing soccer in a dirt lot. The "maze" to find the house we were visiting. The church we passed on the way home with people singing the most beautiful hymns. The smell from the bakery next door. The realization that dawned on me; I was in Africa.

1 comment:

Tawni said...

Okay, the 2 girls next to you, Jessica and Jenna, are my cousins! Seriously, that is crazy!! What are the freaking odds. LOL