Wednesday, July 13, 2011

july 13th, 2006

Just going to jump right in with basically no introduction. I am tired of trying to be clever right now. Sorry.

July 13th, 2006
"On the first trip out from our stop in Mungassa to the new center site, I attempted 3 bundles of grass. I made it about 1/2 way... maybe 2/3 of the way before the grass came un-bundled and I had to take it off my head. We did several grass trips in the morning to save us from doing it in the heat of the afternoon. About a dozen native children went back with us to help. Along the way, the little kids started running, so I started chasing them. I would let them catch up and get in front of me (they would all fall behind) and then I would run after them again. The kids loved it!... Once we reached our supply spot, the little kids grabbed a bundle of grass each and threw it on their heads to carry back to the community center. They looked like little worker ants while walking in a straight line down the path... When we reached the community center, I tied grass with this picky guy for several hours. He would only use certain grass, so it got stressful on occasion. Randomly, as I was tying grass, I looked up to see a huge spider in the tree near me. The spider must have been the size of my palm!
Quick PS. The spider is LARGER in real life than it appears on the screen. No joke.
*** [Speaking of the baby orphanage] "I just floated for a while, not holding or playing with any particular child. Then Elaina found me and she stayed with me the entire time. If I could afford and support her, I would definitely adopt Elaina. She is my baby... I looked down to see Elaina asleep. She looked so precious. I just wanted to smother her in little kisses. I am so attached to her. People started going inside the orphanage to get the kids washed up for dinner. I followed, carrying baby Elaina up. Eric and Lucia woke her up when we got to the top of the stairs - I felt so bad. It was okay, though, because she needs her dinner. When the orphans are asleep, they don't get food. Sometimes they even get in trouble."

That evening at the baby orphanage, I had an epiphany. I loved ALL of the little ones at the orphanage so much, even ones I didn't know as well. It hurt me to see any of them suffer or fight or make bad choices. While talking with another volunteer, I realized this was just a fraction of how Heavenly Father feels about us.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, Leigh!!! I LOVE that picture of you with those beautiful African children! So amazing. This is the coolest thing ever. You need to put this into a book, like with shutterfly or mypublisher. It's so incredibly precious.